What is the Redmine Plugin?
What is the Redmine Project Management Tool?
How To Check If Your Redmine Is Secure Or Not?
Redmine Project Management Tool Market Share:
With the best indexing facilities and advanced data science, Redmine monitors the market share of about 15,00 tech products, including Project Management. Billions of public data are scanned to provide deep insight into every company, and they have an average of 100 data fields per company. In the Project Management sector, Redmine owns a market share of about 21.6%.
If seen by industry, Tedmine customers majorly belong to the IT and services (26%), Computer Software (15%), and the Internet (5%) segments.
If seen by country, Redmine customers belong to the United States (32%), France (11%), and India (6%).
Top 10 Companies That Use Redmine
How To Install Redmine: Easy Steps
- Step 1: Download the Redmine application
- Step 2: Create an empty database and accompanying user
MySQL CREATE DATABASE redmine CHARACTER SET utf8mb4; CREATE USER 'redmine'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password'; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON redmine.* TO 'redmine'@'localhost'
For versions of MySQL 5.5.2 or lower – use utf8 instead of utf8mb4
CREATE DATABASE redmine CHARACTER SET utf8; CREATE USER 'redmine'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password'; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON redmine.* TO 'redmine'@'localhost'
For versions of MySQL 5.0.2 or lower – skip the ‘CREATE USER’ step and instead:
CREATE DATABASE redmine CHARACTER SET utf8; GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON redmine.* TO 'redmine'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_password'; PostgreSQL CREATE ROLE redmine LOGIN ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'my_password' NOINHERIT VALID UNTIL 'infinity'; CREATE DATABASE redmine WITH ENCODING='UTF8' OWNER=redmine;
Skip this step. A database file will be created during Step 6.
The database, login, and user can be created within SQL Server Management Studio with a few clicks.If you prefer the command line option with SQLCMD, here’s some basic example:Show SQL
- Step 3: Connect and configure the database
production: adapter: mysql2 database: redmine host: localhost username: redmine password: "my_password"
If the server doesn’t run on the standard port, you can use the following configuration:
production: adapter: mysql2 database: redmine host: localhost port: 3307 username: redmine password: "my_password"
Example for a PostgreSQL database (default port):
production: adapter: postgresql database: host: username: password: " " encoding: utf8 schema_search_path: (default - public
Example for an SQLite database:
production: adapter: sqlite3 database: db/redmine.sqlite3 Example for a SQL Server database (default host localhost, default port 1433): production: adapter: sqlserver database: redmine username: redmine # should match the database user name password: "redminepassword" # should match the login password
- Step 4: Install the dependencies.
gem install bundler Next, install all gems needed by redmine. You can use this command: bundle config set --local without 'development test' bundle install
- Step 5: Generate the session store secret
bundle exec rake generate_secret_token
- Step 6: Creating database schema objects.
RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake db:migrate Windows syntax: set RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake db:migrate
- Step 7: Setting the database default data
RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake redmine:load_default_data
The data set language to be loaded is prompted by Redmine.
RAILS_ENV=production REDMINE_LANG=fr bundle exec rake redmine:load_default_data Windows: set RAILS_ENV=production set REDMINE_LANG=fr bundle exec rake redmine:load_default_data
- Step 8: Getting file system permissions
The user running the application must have been granted access to these subdirectories:
3.tmp and tmp/pdf
For instance, if you run the app with a Redmine user account:
mkdir -p tmp tmp/pdf public/plugin_assets sudo chown -R redmine:redmine files log tmp public/plugin_assets sudo chmod -R 755 files log tmp public/plugin_assets
- Step 9: Testing the installation
To test the installation, you can run the WEBrick web server:
Once this has started, go to your browser and point to http://localhost:3000/.
bundle exec rails server webrick -e production
The application welcome page will now be visible.
- Step 10: Log into the application
You can use a default administrator account to log in:
Then, go to Administration and Settings to modify app settings as per your requirements.
What is BitNami Redmine Stack?
A renowned Rails-based open-source tracker, Redmine helps you find bugs and manage critical issues for several projects at the same time. The Redmine package by Bitnami gives users an efficient install solution at one click for Redmine. You can download virtual machines or use your Redmine server in the cloud account. Extremely flexible with role-based access and time-tracking facilities, Redmine provides SCM integration, including Git and customer support. Redmine is quite similar to other bug-tracking systems, but it is better because it is open-source and absolutely free. The interface is perfectly clean to define a new project and get started.
How Do I Create A Project In Redmine?
Project management is very easy on Redmine. But, if you are a new user, you might have some questions regarding creating projects on the software. In this section, we discuss in detail the easy steps to creating your first project on Redmine.
- Step 1: Create a Profile
Both administrator and non-administrator users can have the responsibility of managing projects and are given permission accordingly. So, you become the admin, and you have a development team working on the assigned project. The very first step is to install the Redmine application. Register yourself and create an admin profile. After signing in, you can view the homepage with various options.
In the upper-left corner below Administration, you can find the Projects section. To begin, click on New Project.
- Step 2: Add Project Details
- Description: A brief outline of the project shall be displayed on the Overview page.
- Homepage: A link to the homepage of the project, also visible on the Overview page.
- Public: Checks to grant public access to known and random users.
- Modules: Selecting plugins and modules to be incorporated into the project for efficient management.
- Trackers: Choosing the required trackers for the project
- Inherit members: Adding all users from the parent project.
After filling in these fields, click on ‘Create and continue.’
- Step 3: Add Users
You must register your team to assign a project. Users are manually activated by default. So, after finishing the data fill-up on the registration page, users can log in as Admon. Next, go to Project Settings and click on Members. Then. Click on New Member.
- Step 4: Assign Roles to Users
How To Use Redmine
- Register: Once you click on the ‘Register’ tab at the upper-right corner, the register page opens for registration. To access the Redmine application, you have to register for it. Fill in all the required data, especially the mandatory fields, pointed out with a red asterisk. After registration, you can access the app, add projects by clicking on ‘New Project’ if you are an admin, and add new members to the project as per requirements.
- Login: You can log in to Redmine on the login page. Also, if you forget the password you can reset it by clicking on ‘Lost password’. The link only goes to admins who have activated it. Registered users have a Login ID and Password they can use to log in.
- Create an issue: Registered users can create a defect if required. Log in and go to the New Issue tab in the header. Various trackers like Defect, Feature, and Patch are also available. These are fields that must be filled in to create issues:
- Tracker to indicate the category of the issue.
- Subject to summarise the issue in a lone line.
- Description to provide a brief outline of the bug and reproducing steps.
- Status to provide the current status of the bug: new, resolved, or closed.
- Files to upload images, for example, screenshots.
When all the details have been given, a new defect will be created.
- Search: The search box is available in the top, right-hand corner. It is a simple textbox for users to search for pre-existing defects or any new defects found in the project
- Users can simply put in the Issue ID and press enter. They will be redirected to the Advanced Search. They can also refine the search as per requirement.
How To Manage a Project Using Redmine
Managing projects on Redmine include editing, archiving, deleting, or closing a project. A project list helps you do all of these things very easily.
- Projects List: A project list displays all ongoing projects by default. You can filter the status to “All’ to view all existing projects, both archived and active. Remember that standard users have a project list as well. To access that, you can simply click on ‘Projects’. Non-administrator members can start or close a project on this list. This presented list in the one location where you can manage projects according to user permissions provided. The featured columns are:
- Project: Name of the project
- Description: A brief description of the project
- Created: The date when this project was created
- Public: If the ‘green pipe’ sign is visible, this project is public. Only if you have been granted access by the project administrator can you view non-public projects
- Deleting a project: Click on ‘Trash’. A separate screen will ask you to reconfirm your action. The entire project, including sub-projects, will be removed. Unlike Archive, a deleted project cannot be restored.
What are the benefits of using Redmine?
Best Features of Redmine
What is the Redmine Plugin?
From bug trackers to agile development tools and everything else, Redmine plugins are always variable to simplify the execution and management of projects. These plugins can be downloaded for free and can be used if you have a basic knowledge of programming.
How to Install Redmine Plugin
You can simply download the required plugins and unpack them in the redmine/apps/redmine/htdocs/plugins folder. Open a browser and go to the folder where Redmine has already been installed. Run the script use_redmine.bat with a double click. A new window will open with a line of command. Enter the following commands:
cd apps\redmine\htdocs bundle install --without development test --no-deployment bundle exec rake redmine:plugins RAILS_ENV=production
Next, restart the Bitnami application.
How to Install Redmine Theme?
In this section, we discuss the easy steps by which you can install Redmine themes:
Go to Redmine’s root folder: cd /var/www/redmine
Copy and unarchive the required theme
cp circle_theme-3_0_0.zip /var/www/redmine/public/themes
This would lead to a directory path to application.css: /var/www/redmine/public/themes/cicle/stylesheets/application.css
Restart the Redmine so that you can see the list of newly installed themes.
Activate the theme by going to ‘Administration -> Settings” -> “Display”.
Select your new theme from the drop-down list and save your settings.